Mac users: Bridge Baron for years has had glaring deficiencies. Recently, after 10 years of complaints, they corrected some of them. Unfortunately, each time they make changes they introduce new problems. Go to their website and send them a message asking them to:
- Fix the Actions - Go to Next Deal option when using a library file. It currently goes to a blank page (10+ year old problem).
- Can't display all the hands when using Libray files (now in View menu).
- At end of an auction, the drop-down menu obscures the auction so that it can not be viewed before play.
Bridge Baron is a computer program that allows the user to play both random hands and (version 18 or newer) prepared hands against the computer and other users. It is available here (we often buy Bridge Baron in bulk and are able to sell it to students in our classes at a reduced rate).
Some of our games provide Bridge Baron compatible files of the hands played at each game. Some of our classes and free lectures also provide Bridge Baron compatible files which contain bidding and playing exercises.
The following describes how to dowload the files from our website and how to use them in Bridge Baron. Some versions of Bridge Baron on some versions of PC or Mac operating systems may vary from what is described. If so, do the best you can given the information below.
Play Hands in Bridge Baron
Overview: You can not open a Bridge Baron file by double clicking on it. You must open Bridge Baron and then select the file from within Bridge Baron.
- Start Bridge Baron.
- Select the file to be played.
- On Bridge Baron 24 for PC, only,
- Select My Deals. Then select a deal file from the list of previously played files shown, or
- Select Open File. Navigate to the folder where your deal files are stored and select the file you want to use. Then select Open.
- On other versions of Bridge Baron
- select Library, or on older versions select Tools and then Deal Library.
- Select Open - Retrieve deal from library file. Navigate to the folder where your deal files are stored and select the file you want to use. Then select Open.
- On Bridge Baron 24 for PC, only,
- Select the deal you want to play and select Play.
- When asked Do you want to bid and play the hands as entered? select Yes.
- Bid and play the hand. Deals from our classes will include bidding and possibly play guidance.
- When through playing the hand go the next deal.
- PCs: You will be given the option of going to the next deal. If so, use that to play the next deal.
- Macs: You will not be given the option of going to the next deal. You will have to go back to the start screen and navigate to the deal file and select the new deal each time you want to play a new deal.
- If you use the Actions - Go to Next Deal option during play of a hand, Bridge Baron will go to a blank screen and you will have to go to the start screen to start using it again (on older versions you may have to quit and restart Bridge Baron).
Download and Save the Deal File
Overview: The files on our website have been compressed (reduced in size and put in a special format for downloading). After downloading them you will uncompress them and then save them for use in Bridge Baron.
- Create a folder on your computer to hold the deal files downloaded from our website. You may want to put it on your desktop for easy access.
- Go to the page on our website where the deal files are provided.
- Click on the link provided to download the deal file.
- Go to the folder where the file has been downloaded. Most current operating systems will save it to a Download folder. On older operating systems you may need to find where the file has been downloaded.
- Double click on the downloaded file. It will then be uncompressed and saved in the same location. The compressed file will have an extension of .zip and the un-compressed file will have an extension of .ppl
- Move the .ppl file to the folder you created for deal files. Unfortunately, Bridge Baron can not use aliases on newer Mac operating systems.
- Double click on the dowloaded file. It will be uncompressed and open a window containing several files.
- Move the .ppl file which is not Mac related to the folder you created for the deal files.